The General Election is fast approaching and one of the most intractable foreign policy issues remains Israel’s illegal occupation of the West Bank of Palestine and the continuing land, sea and air blockade of Gaza.
Palestine is a cross party issue. Sumud Palestine joins a growing chorus of voices urging Israel to comply with international and humanitarian law.
It is urgent that all candidates who support equality, human rights and anti-racism are invited to support Palestine and to offer their views and planned actions on Palestinian human rights.
Sumud Palestine calls on all our supporters to find out when a Hustings is taking place in your constituency and do whatever you can to attend. If you have not done this before the Palestine Solidarity Campaign website act.palestinecampaign.org is an excellent primer in this respect.
PSC SUGGEST THESE QUESTIONS TO PUT TO CANDIDATES
Suggested questions for prospective candidates:
- Do you agree that one of the first acts of the next UK government should be the recognition of Palestine?
- Do you agree that the blockade on Gaza should be lifted immediately?
- Do you agree that we should stop trade with Israel’s settlements on Palestinian land, and stop settlement goods being sold in Britain?
- Do you agree that the EU Israel Association Agreement should be suspended until Israel meets its human rights obligations?
- Do you agree that the government should stop supplying arms to Israel until it complies with international law?
Replies should be recorded so that an elected candidate can be held to account.
Stafford Churches Together is organising a Hustings on Thursday, 23 April at St John’s Church, Littleworth, Stafford ST16 3R. Presumed time: 7.30 pm.
Saltbox expects to organise Hustings for the three Stoke constituencies.