Gaza Vigil and Protest Saturday 2nd August 2014, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent
Our petition gathered 160 signatures and there were probably upwards to 200 people gathered during the two hour vigil. Rain inhibited the involvement of passing shoppers but nevertheless £449.73 was collected for Medical Aid for Palestinians.
On Monday, twenty-five supporters met at the Borough Arms Hotel in Newcastle courtesy of Mr Sheikh who offered generous hospitality. A video, An Israeli Soldier’s Story – Eran Efrati was shown. Eran was born and raised in Jerusalem and on his discharge from military service spent mostly in the West Bank; he joined Breaking the Silence, an organisation of veteran Israeli soldiers working to raise awareness about the daily reality in the Occupied Territories. His honest and devastating story can be viewed here
The meeting did not deliver an action plan unless it is to step up our commitment to do more of the same:
- Educate and raise awareness of the reality of Israel’s illegal occupation of the West Bank and blockade of Gaza
- Raise money for Gaza – Sumud Palestine will shortly identify a front-line, grassroots project known for its integrity and delivery of services to support the neediest
- Step up our support of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions Campaign, an effective way to make Israel accountable for its policies and actions
- Maintain a barrage of correspondence with MPs and MEPs
- Join the Palestine Solidarity Campaign
- Keep abreast of and support Sumud Palestine’s local activities
In response to a request from a young Muslim woman, Sumud is to arrange a meeting on 8 September to discuss the historical antecedents of the dispossession of the Palestinians and probably view a relevant film.
On 22 September, a monthly NUT meeting is hosting a teacher who has recently taken part in an NUT delegation visiting schools and meeting teachers in Israel and the West Bank. The meeting will be thrown open at 8.00 pm for anyone with an interest in education or simply an interest in Israel and the OPT.
On 25 October Sumud Palestine is organising a conference, Planting Hope in Palestine, at the Burslem School of Art. An aim is that everyone end the day ready to become BDS activists!